Friday, June 29, 2007

First Thoughts

One of my all time favorite songs is Sanctuary. It is short, simple, yet powerful… “Lord, prepare me to be a sanctuary, pure and holy, tried and true. With thanksgiving, I’ll be a living sanctuary for you.”

I find its prayerful words especially meaningful in preparation for communion. I sing them to the boys at opportune moments like bedtime or pushing them on swings at the playground. At times Heather and I sing them in worship together while driving or washing dishes.

Not too long ago, I woke up with this song of prayer echoing in my mind. It was a remarkable experience, for I didn’t have those typical thoughts… “Get up, Jon! It’s time to get going.” Or, “Put one leg out and your body will follow. You can do it!” I was totally blessed, because “Lord, prepare me…” were my first thoughts for the day. It was as if our Heavenly Father were singing this blessing over me during my sleep, whispering His sweet Spirit in my ears. So, when I woke up, His grace was real, tangible, and lifting me to face the beautiful new day.

As we embark upon a new chapter of Westover’s life, may the words of Sanctuary be our prayer. May they be our first thoughts as we come together for worship. May they be our guide as we discern God’s vision for our future. May they lead us into the world to serve and minister to those who don’t know God’s amazing love. May they comfort us in times of difficulty or confusion.

Oh, His grace is indeed real, and it lifts us to face the new day! Do you hear it? Do you hear the song our Heavenly Father whispers in our ears?

“Lord, prepare us…”

In Christ,
JON

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love the line, "tried and true". That is my desire too, and I'm so glad for the reminder that that is where the Father is calling us!

Blessings,
Gwen