Friday, June 8, 2007

Remember

This Sunday is our last at St. Paul. And as we approach the time of our departure, I am reminded of Christina Rossetti’s poem Remember. Though she is speaking primarily of physical death, I find it meaningful for ‘goodbyes’ as well, for a permanent departure like this is a death of sorts—things will certainly not be the same. Some things will wither and fade away, while others promise new life.

Remember me when I am gone away,
Gone far away into the silent land;
When you can no more hold me by the hand,
Nor I half turn to go yet turning stay.

Remember me when no more day by day
You tell me of our future that you planned:
Only remember me; you understand
It will be late to counsel then or pray.

Yet if you should forget me for a while
And afterwards remember, do not grieve:
For if the darkness and corruption leave
A vestige of the thoughts that once I had,
Better by far you should forget and smile
Than that you should remember and be sad.

The last verse is my prayer for St. Paul: it is “better by far you should forget and smile/ than that you should remember and be sad.” My tenure here has been a blessing to me, a gift beyond expression. Heather and I share many wonderful memories of ministry and life. And as we go our way, heading off to a new horizon, I am confident we will remember and smile.

God bless you, St. Paul!
JON

2 comments:

David Weller said...

Have a safe trip, and a great beginning.. remember, we are all still in the same Church, wherever we may be.

'Till we meet again, son,
Until we see His Face;

'Till our days are finished,
Until we seek His Place.

Darkness may befall us,
That I know 'till won;

'Till we meet each other,
Until we see the Son.


Peace to you and your family,
David

Jon said...

Thank you, David, for the blessing. Peace be with you, my friend.