Sunday, July 15, 2007

Coffee with God

Every week I have coffee with God. Sounds strange, but let me explain.

Several times a week, I spend mornings at Roosters Coffee shop in Amarillo (34th & Bell). I grab my COD, inexpensively priced at $1, with FREE refills (yes, I'm cheap). Then I head to the courtyard, a thin unused alley converted to an outdoor coffee paradise.


I find life there. A miscellany of greenery growing in well placed pottery rarifies the air and pleases the aesthetic's eye. The continuous soft trickle of a wall-mounted fountain brings freshness to the ears. A bold Columbian or a smooth breakfast blend, softened by a touch of cream and sweetened with sugar, satisfies the palate. The sacred words of scripture drape blessings over my heart and enlighten my mind with eternal truths. The occasional panhandle breeze enhanced by the slow turning of arbor fans reminds me of the coolness of God's spirit blowing across my soul. Ahhh... relaxing, refreshing, renewing.

I am in the presence of God, and the results are amazing. Sundry, disparate thoughts are bound together and organized... my week's agenda takes form. Despite my personal ignorance in understanding, biblical truths emerge from scripture, take root in meaningful application to life, and are placed in communicable ways on paper... my sermon is birthed. The swelter of personal issues--raising children, giving more to marriage, leadership in ministry, dealing with my own idiosychrasies (which probably drive me mad more than others)--somehow calms to a manageable placidity so I may move on in God's vision for my life.


And it all happens here. This is my sanctuary, my sacred space where I meet God... in word, in beauty, in coffee.

Blessings,
JON

No comments: