Friday, March 16, 2007

A Moment to Brag

It is no secret that I am a huge soccer fan. I follow several teams around the world—Newcastle United in England, VfB Stuttgart in Germany, the US Men’s national team, and our closest professional soccer team FC Dallas (also known as ‘the hoops’). Though I am unable to make the games in Frisco, Texas, because of time and distance, I read up on them weekly through internet. Occasionally a treat of a game is on TV.

Now I am going to brag. Recently I became a founding and life-time member of Hoops Nation, FC Dallas’ fan club. I receive first dibs on game tickets, am privy to ‘insider’ knowledge through newsletters and blog-sites, am given discounts to all kinds of merchandise, and am showered with all kinds of fan paraphernalia. It is a wonderful experience, and I am quick to brag about it. I will probably add this to my professional vita (resume). “Founding and life-time member” has a certain resonance to it, distinguished and honorable. When I mention it to people, they are undoubtedly impressed. Initially, most are incredibly excited, though not surprised, because of my undaunted fanatical support of soccer. They esteem me in a higher light, and it feels good.

However, when I tell them it only cost me $10 (TEN!) dollars, something amazing happens. The honor and esteem seem to fizz out like air from a balloon. Their shoulders shrink in disappointment, and they are visibly disappointed. Hmmm…

It is a fitting reminder of Christian integrity. At times we may be tempted to flaunt and boast our Christian resume—what church we attend, our building campaigns, how magnificent our preacher is, how distinguished our past has been, or how ‘blessed’ our programs seem to be. But in the end, what matters today is not our pedigree or our appearance, but our status before Christ our Lord. Have we been faithful to the standards of love and grace which he has set before us? Have we followed through with the calling he has placed upon our shoulders? Have we set out to make disciples?

It is a joy to see so many churches moving forward in ministry, getting on our knees to connect with God, seeking Christ’s grace through worship, and pulling the straps of mission upon our shoulders to make disciples of Jesus Christ.

Thanks for being a blessing,
JON

No comments: