Friday, April 6, 2007

For Good Friday

Good Friday is upon us. And every year I re-read Christina Rossetti’s poem For Good Friday. May Christina’s words be our guiding prayer as we reflect on the crucifixion of Christ and his journey to the cross. This is our invitation to reconnect with God. Encounter Renewal. Encounter Passion. Encounter God.

Am I a stone, and not a sheep,
That I can stand, O Christ, beneath Thy cross,
To number drop by drop Thy Blood's slow loss,
And yet not weep?

Not so those women loved
Who with exceeding grief lamented Thee;
Not so fallen Peter weeping bitterly;
Not so the thief was moved;

Not so the Sun and Moon
Which hid their faces in a starless sky,
A horror of great darkness at broad noon-
I, only I.

Yet give not o'er,
But seek Thy sheep, true Shepherd of the flock;
Greater than Moses, turn and look once more
And smite a rock.

Another sheep of the fold,
JON

2 comments:

gmw said...

Jon & Heather,

Howdy! I just found your comment, Heather on a blog I put up but haven't done much with. My main blog is at guywilliams(dot)blogspot.

If you're in or headed to my neighborhood, holler. Heck, holler anyway: guymwilliams (at) gmail (dot) com.

David Weller said...

Remember not me,
who showed no mercy,
who gave no pity,
who walked his way.

Remember not me,
who kept the goods,
who racked the woods,
who moved to stay.

Remember not me,
who knows no pain,
who thinks okay,
who loves away.

I love You.

David Weller